Testing a fairly complicated cable pattern yesterday, one that worked fine when I knit it in one color yarn. I have wanted to knit colored cables for a long time.
What I didn't realize was how much the "carried" yarn behind the cable would pull. The cables pulled into themselves, becoming much thinner than they had been in the one-color knitting. There was no tension on their yarn to keep them as wide as they needed to be to make the pattern work.
I tried two rows of blending--carrying the main yarn into the cable with the color--but didn't like the way it looked. I will try this concept again, blending embroidery thread into a solid color base.
For the time being, it's rip back and start over.