Earlier in the summer, I purchased a shawl pattern sight unseen as a fund-raiser for the families of the victims of the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fl. I had no real plans to make the shawl; thought I would be knitting something else. However, I could afford to put $5 into the fund raiser.
Then I followed the discussion as the pattern took shape. I tried knitting several things, and nothing stuck. Donna Druchunas assembled several kits and suggested yarns; I found myself shopping.
However, I don't like varigated yarn, much, and I don't really like rainbows as a color scheme. I kept finding yarns that were rainbow-ish, and John kept saying, "If it's for Pulse, it has to be a rainbow." I almost bought several yarns, but cash is tight this month, and nothing grabbed me very hard, and I almost thought about skipping the project.
I went digging into my stash. I have a huge bag of assorted whites, rescued from a thrift shop bin. It was supposed to be knit into an afghan. I've lost the pattern, and my life does not allow white afghans--we live with seven mud-loving dogs. I had thought about space-dying that yarn several times.
Bingo! I added some colors from stash in a rainbow mix.
The black has a 1974 date; the blue with tinsel came in a grab bag from Webs in 1987 or thereabouts. No idea where the turquoise, red, or purple came from. Added a few other colors.